Saturday, April 18, 2015

Eating a (Mostly) Balanced Diet on a Budget: Day Seven--Homemade Pizza

Saturday


Breakfast:

Ham, Egg, and Cheese Frittata (more like an egg casserole than a true frittata)
Apple juice or Orange-Pineapple-Apple juice

Note on the juice:  I like to buy certain kinds of frozen concentrate juices.  I tend to buy my orange juice that way because I read that concentrate orange juice has less preservatives in it than bottled orange juice, that bottled orange juice is stored in big tanks and orange flavoring and color is added to it but not to the concentrate.  But, my favorite kind of concentrate is a brand called Hawaii's Own.  Unfortunately, they do not sell my brand of juice here in Texas.  According to the juice's website, they sell it at certain dollar stores, but I have searched all of those dollar stores in my area and the ones near me do not carry it.  So I have settled on similar juice by Welch's: orange-pineapple-apple, strawberry, or passion fruit are my favorites.  Sometimes I mix them to try and imitate the flavor of the Hawaii's Own.  When and if I am in Utah or Arizona, I will be buying a cooler of dry ice and bringing a large amount of that back to Texas with me!

Recipe:
6 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
Diced ham (I use a handful, so about 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Sometimes I add one potato, peeled and shredded.

Beat eggs, milk, melted butter, salt and pepper together.  Pour into greased 9X9 pan.  Sprinkle ham and cheese over the egg mixture.  Bake in 350 oven for 25-30 minutes until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

Cost of breakfast:

$.99 diced ham ($3.98 bag of diced ham, but I only used a handful, about 1/4)
$.78 eggs
$.11 milk (remember, I bought my gallon of milk for $1.69)
$.05 margarine (yes, I know butter is supposed to be healthier)
$.40 cheese (~$3.20 4 cup bag of shredded cheese, I used 1/2 cup)
$1 juices (drank about 1/2 each of the two juices)
$3.33 Total=$.42/person

Lunch:

Hot dogs
Fresh fruit/veggies
water to drink

Yes, I know the stigma of hot dogs, but all beef hot dogs really aren't that bad if you only have them once in a while.  If you have a steady diet of hot dogs, then I can see that would be really bad for you, but a hot dog on occasion is okay.  

Cost of Lunch:

$3 hot dogs (2 pkgs of 8)
$1.50 worth of strawberries or apple slices (some of my kids don't like strawberries--I know, crazy, right?)
$1.50 worth of sliced carrots or celery
$.89 hot dog buns (because I bought two packages at that prices but we only ate one--several of my kids eat the hot dogs without the buns)
$6.89 Total=$.86/person

Dinner:

Homemade pizza
Fruit salad
Tossed salad
Chocolate milk to drink (which we really like with pizza, for some reason)

You can find my pizza dough recipe by clicking on the recipes tab at the top of my blog or by clicking the hyperlinked word recipe.  I make two pizzas with the dough and have some dough leftover to make a third pizza later in the week for a lunch one day.

My family likes plain cheese, pepperoni and olive, ham and olive, pepperoni and mushroom.  I make a mozzarella/cheddar blend of cheese with about 1 cup mozzarella to about 1/4 cup cheddar.

Cost of dinner:

$2.50 pizza dough ingredients estimate (things I always have on hand because I make pizza dough just about once a week--I also think this is a high estimate of these ingredients)
$.89 jar of sauce (lasts for 2-3 pizzas)
$1.99 pkg of pepperoni (lasts for 2-3 pizzas)
$3.20 4 cup shredded mozzarella (lasts for 2-3 pizzas)
$.50 worth of shredded cheddar
$2 olives/mushrooms/ham
$1 fruit (bananas, strawberries, apple)
$.85 milk
$.50 chocolate syrup to make it chocolate
$1 tossed salad (lettuce, shredded cheddar, celery)
$14.43 Total=$1.80/person

Total for Saturday:  $24.65=$3.08/person

Total for the Week:  $116.80=$14.60/person for the week in food

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails